Saturday, August 27, 2011

Weathering the Storm--Hurricanes & Mother Nature.

Agnes, Hugo, Andrew, Dennis, Katrina, and now Irene are the hurricanes burned into my consciousness. It is a humbling experience to know that you cannot fight Mother Nature. As I sit in my parents home this evening and thank the Lord for my parents and brother installing the backup generators a few months ago, I am humbled as we all are by the power of Mother Nature. We have come a long way. Technology and science allow me to do now things I had never dreamed about as a child. Yet we must understand that we are only one part of this planet--this universe. I am in DC not my residence in New York City because of Georgetown's Board of Governors meeting on Friday. I elected not to return on Saturday simply because it seems like NYC is being evacuated. Every year at Board of Governors meetings we seem to have major storms. Last year we had the Big Ice Storm, and two years ago the Snowpocalypse during the GU--Villanova game.

As my beloved Georgetown Hoyas became involved in the Brawl in China, I had many mixed feelings as an Asian-American. I was relieved that my alma mater Georgetown was clearly not the aggressor and instigator of the big fight. I was honestly embarrassed by the behavior of the Chinese Army team, the referees, and the Chinese police. To everyone's credit especially Coach JTIII it appears that this has been turned to a positive experience. Often I have sat at work meetings where a love-fest breaks out which is not genuine to say the least. I pray that I will be able to safely get back to the island of Manhattan this week and continue my work schedule. I pray that everyone survives Hurrican Irene and has a safe few days.

We are Georgetown!

Dr. Thomas A. Wong
Hoya Hoop Club Vice-President & Director of Communications
Proud Member of Generation Ewing

No comments: