Sunday, August 28, 2011

Life Lessons From The Greatest Game Ever Invented

As a Double Hoya and an Asian-American I have lived my entire life loving the game of basketball. When I walked into Healey Circle during New Student Orientation this weekend, I experienced the same excitement that I had as an incoming freshman. Indeed former GU President Tim Healey's voice still lives on in me and my fellow Hoya classmates. As I walk to work every day through Bryant Park I think of Father Healey and his work with the NY Public Library and Bryant Park. As I visited my parents in Maryland this weekend, I went to the AFI Silver Spring Theatre to see my favorite basketball movie, Hoosiers, on the big screen. It is indeed a classic. I marvel at the passion that the residents of the small town of Hickory, Indiana have for the game of basketball. As Dennis Hopper tells Gene Hackman, he knows everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented. Moreover, the movie is about second chances, and how we as individuals are defined by our actions. The naive Barbara Hershey does not understand why every game her brother ever played was the most important thing that ever happened to her family. It is not until she sees how Gene Hackman, Dennis Hopper, and her pupil Jimmie Chitwood get a second chance in life does she really begin to see why she is always drawn back to her home town. Indeed basketball is the greatest game because of its emphasis on teamwork, and its rare combination of athleticism, and strategy. You can fall behind and have a chance to come back, to rally, and redefine yourself through resilience and a team emphasis.

As I saw the highlights and tried to understand what happened in the Georgetown Hoyas trip to China, I marveled at the leadership Coach JT III and our coaching staff displayed. Indeed, they put the incident behind them and concentrated on the bigger picture. There was more at stake than just a basketball game. Indeed two nations found that they had more in common than they had differences. Indeed diplomacy, and goodwill won out. The Hoyas trip to China was more than just a basketball trip. The Jesuit principles of Men and Women for Others, and Cura Personalis were what came through. Yes two cultures, and groups of people learned some valuable life lessons from the Greatest Game Ever Invented.

For some pictures of the Georgetown trip to China from Super Hoya Fan Rich Hluchan see our
Hoyas in China Trailer at:


For the full view of pictures go to:


We are Georgetown!

Dr. Thomas A. Wong
Hoya Hoop Club Vice-President & Director of Communications
Proud Member of Generation Ewing

No comments: