Monday, December 12, 2011

Maui Invitational 2011 Day 2

When you visit Maui you marvel at the beauty of nature, and you respect the great traditions of Maui, HI. It seems like almost yesterday when the Chaminade Silverswords shocked the #1 ranked college basketball team in the nation, led by player of the year Ralph Sampson, the University of Virginia aka the University of Ralph. It was the ultimate trap game for the UVA Cavaliers. I expect it to be another battle as our young Georgetown Hoyas face Chaminade in their backyard later this afternoon. Last night in losing a hard fought battle to the Kansas JayHawks I was encouraged by the great effort made by our young team. I am not fond of moral victories, but loved seeing Nate, Jason, Hollis & others dive after lose balls. I was a little concerned when I saw Henry Sims dive head first over the scorer’s table--we all admired the effort.


When yesterday started I was nervous all day as I am on most game days. I researched our history against the Kansas JayHawks on John Reagan’s Georgetown History Project and saw that we have only played Kansas once, on March 20, 1987 defeating Kansas in the Sweet Sixteen 70-57. True Georgetown basketball historians will know that this was the legendary Georgetown team known as “Reggie & the Miracles.” It seems like yesterday that I saw Reggie Williams, and Perry McDonald dominate the Derrick Coleman led Syracuse Orange and the Rick Pitino Providence Final Four team in Madison Square Garden winning another Big East Tournament Championship.


My day started as I hung out at the Westin Ono Grill by the pool enjoying my Hoya Blue drink and Maui Chili Dawg. The next thing I know is that I hear the cheer Hoya Saxa as a WAG shirt flies over my head. It was my friend Rich Chvotkin, the voice of the Georgetown Hoyas! It was great to see Rich as we were both staying in the Westin Maui which is a great hotel, but the HQ for the Kansas JayHawks. We were greatly outnumbered. Rich filled me in on his radio broadcast timetable as well as his history in Hawaii at the Maui Classic in 1999, and Georgetown’s many trips to the island of Oahu where he stayed at the Sheraton Wakiki. I will be at the Sheraton Wakiki on Thanksgiving Day for two nights before heading back East. I then took a walk to the Hyatt Regency along the beach walk hoping to find more Hoyas. I found some friends at the Hyatt Pool, and ran into Kim Curry, the GU MBB academic coordinator. Kim has that great smile, and wonderful outgoing personality that makes you want to be around her. As the afternoon was flying by I decided to take a drive to the arena so I would know my game route later that evening. TIme flew and I got to the pre-game reception meeting Steve Alleva to get my game day tickets. It was great to see the GU family including Blanton Jones, former Hoyas Unlimited Associate Director Mara Vandlik, Chris Haines (SB Nation), and many other Georgetown friends. It is always great to be surrounded by your Georgetown family. I met a few new friends, but did not get a chance to meet Jennifer Dotson from the GU Hawaii Club. I was hoping to see her but I needed to get to the arena--I need to arrive early to games for those who do not know me! Time was passing and I got a ride from my HHC Communications team member Joannah Graham and her husband Kevin. We got to the game very early and purchased some T shirts, and had some Cool Cat Cafe burgers. The Lahaina Civic Center let’s you buy and bring food in, but does not sell food in the arena. I was impressed by the organization as they brought the UCLA-Chaminade crowd out of the arena, and moved us in. There were no bad seats in the house in this tiny gym. As I mentioned we made a great effort, but the result was not what any Hoya fan wanted. Still the season is early, and I love this young Hoya team. Everyone gave a maximum effort, and I know Coach JT III will make sure his young players learn from this experience. We headed back to the Westin, and am now preparing for an 11:30 AM game against Chaminade, Hawaii Time (4:30 PM ET). As we say at Georgetown, we will live to battle another day. Chaminade will be another hard fought game. Hoya Saxa!


We are Georgetown!


Dr. Thomas A. Wong

Hoya Hoop Club VP--Communications

Proud Member of Generation Ewing

No comments: