Monday, February 7, 2011

Not Our Rivals--We are Georgetown--Crush the Orange!

Rivalry Week--Is it something designed by ESPN or is it part of the fabric of college basketball. I have vague remembrances of my days living on 4th Loyola in my freshman year at Georgetown. I remember the start of Rivalry week as we talked about Georgetown playing Maryland, UCLA against Notre Dame, and North Carolina against NC State. Indeed it was the year before Georgetown closed down Manley Field House, and three years before Georgetown played North Carolina for the National Championship. I remember telling several of my classmates from Syracuse, New York that Georgetown would defeat the Orangemen at Cole Field House for the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. They looked at me with disbelief. Indeed in spite of the Orange's formidable front line of Roosevelt Bouie and Louis Orr, their backcourt led by Marty Headd would be no match for John Duren and Eric "Sleepy" Floyd. Indeed I looked like a basketball genius as John Thompson would begin his decade long domination of Jim Boeheim and the Syracuse Orange. Indeed Georgetown has many opponents we could consider rivals over the years: Maryland, DePaul, St. John's, Duke, and North Carolina. As I sat at Comcast Center last week with my brother as he told me that Duke-Maryland was a bigger rivalry than Duke-North Carolina? I certainly know it is a great rivalry, but do not agree that it is as big as Duke-UNC! In fact a rivalry is often characterized by never having to state it! Good luck to Georgetown in Rivalry Week!

We are Georgetown! Crush the Orange!

Dr. Thomas A. Wong
Hoya Hoop Club Vice-President & Director of Communications
Proud Member of Generation Ewing

No comments: