Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Double Hoya Heads West--In a New York Minute

































Many of us long time Hoya fans enjoy a West Coast trip. The NCAA West Regional has historically been good for the Blue & Gray. When I saw the return of A.I. to the Philadelphia 76ers this week I got chills when I heard the announcer say, "From Georgetown #3 Allen Iverson." Allen was for many years the fastest man baseline to baseline in all of basketball. When I make my trip from Dulles Airport tomorrow to the West Coast, I will have many fond memories of the Jimmy V Classic in my other hometown, New York City!

After reading John Hawkes HHC Blog, I regret not having a NY deli sandwich. When I head back up to Manhattan before the end of the Holidays I need to visit Katz's deli for a pastrami sandwich. On this past trip for the Jimmy V, I did not have time for many meals but did have some wonderful "Mabo Ramen" at one of my favorite places, Sapporo, right off Duffy Square. I later had a giant hot dog with my good friend and fellow GU Board of Governors member Caragh Moynihan Lengle. Being a former swimmer myself, I was fascinated to hear that Caragh and her husband Chris Lengle were former Hoya swimmers.

It was great seeing the Hoyas beat a good Butler team. It was a different atmosphere than the Big East Tournament, but it is still the World's Most Famous Arena! It was great seeing Pat Ewing, Jr. cheering on the Hoyas! This Jimmy V Classic was special for me as I got to meet many of my new Georgetown friends as well as seeing so many of my fellow Hoya Hoop Club Board members. I met another Double Hoya at our post-game reception at Stout NYC--if you are reading this please send me a message! I am looking forward to seeing many of my West Coast friends in California on Saturday. It will be my first time attending the Wooden Classic. I am actually going to be staying in Westwood, home of John Wooden: "The Wizard of Westwood." I am looking forward to it. However, I am still really enjoying the time I had at the Jimmy V with Caragh, Chris, and my fellow Hoyas! There is nothing better than spending time with good friends in MSG. New York will always be home to me. Now it is time to pack for a West Coast Trip. Hoya Saxa!

We are Georgetown!

Dr. Thomas A. Wong
Hoya Hoop Club Vice-President--Communications
Proud Member of Generation Ewing

No comments: