Thursday, September 17, 2009

Countdown to Midnight Madness: Week 4 The Legend of Allen Iverson


Just yesterday I took the Amtrak to New York's Penn Station, and walked up 7th Avenue to my hotel room at the Doubletree Times Square. I was there for a day business meeting, but thought about that game on November 22, 1995 where the Hoyas crushed an outstanding nationally ranked Georgia Tech team 94-72 in the Pre-Season NIT. Indeed it was a sold out MSG crowd that came to see Allen Iverson, the fastest man from baseline to baseline. Not since the days of Alonzo Mourning had the Hoyas climbed to as high as #2 in the national rankings. In fact, George Michael on the Sports Machine was touting the Hoyas to rise to #1 by the end of the week. Alas the Arizona Wildcats, behind the slowdown tactics of Lute Olsen, were able to upset the Hoyas in the final preventing Georgetown's rise to the #1 ranking. Yet on this night, the athletic backcourt of Allen Iverson and Victor Paige put on a show in front of Macy's window. This Hoya team would finish the season with a #4 national ranking and would be one of the most exciting teams to wear the blue and grey.
As I walked down 42nd Street to my board meeting I kept thinking whether or not I should attend the Jimmy V Classic in December against #15 ranked Butler. As I passed Bryant Park, I ran into my friend and fellow member of the GU Board of Governors Class of 2008, Caragh Moynihan. We had a brief chat as I walked across Bryant Park to my new favorite restaurant, Szechuan Gourmet. As I walked across the Park I realized they were having a Victoria's Secret model show. As I boarded the Amtrak this morning on my way back to D.C. I realized that I should seriously consider attending the Jimmy V Classic. There is nothing like a college basketball game at MSG in "The City."

Dr. Thomas A. Wong
Proud Member of Generation Ewing

No comments: